Wednesday, September 17, 2014

DIY Fireplace Reveal

HIIII!!!!
I am sosososo EXCITED to share this with you!  I have talked about this fireplace since I started this blog.  It has taken me a really long time to complete.  There really is no excuse for it, I literally stopped working on the dang thing for like 8 months.  I finally got off of my butt and finished it, and let me tell you....EEEEK!!!!  I feel like a twelve-year-old girl at a Justin Bieber concert.  I'm so thrilled and it is SO pretty!  Today I'm just going to share all of the pretty pictures and I will be back soon with a tutorial on how I made this.  I can tell you one thing, though.....I did it all by myself! whooo! It feels so good to make something with your own two hands, sit back and stare at the finished product and wonder....Did I really make that????

Without further ado!


All pretty and finished! 
I'm kind of regretting not taking down that swag of fabric that is on the window before taking these pictures.  I'm considering making a roman shade out of it...what do you think? Yay or nay? 

more shots...

All of the tile is white Carrera marble.  Hex tiles and subway tiles. 



The area where the wood meets the wall is a little rough, since I still have to paint the walls.  


a nice BIG mantle. 


The inside is painted with chalk board paint!  
This is a faux fireplace right now, but it has the option to add a gas insert to it.  It can be vented through the wall behind it or we could go ventless (my preference).  The chalkboard piece is removable, so it would be very easily done.  


My favorite part....I love it. 



I built this around the tv....never even took it off of the wall, haha! 

The stupid glare!  I had to open the front door to get enough light for these photos. 



Here's a fun little thing I devised....I hinged part of the frame around the T.V. so we can get to the television controls. 


You can see a glimpse of my next project here...re-doing the trim around the back door! 



Check out those crown moulding returns on the front of this....yeah.  I did that. 



and here's a crappy shot of the whole wall...just so you can see.  I have a lot of things to fix left on this wall...

Changing the trim on the door...adding trim to the window and making a roman shade....ditching the ac unit.  It was a necessity with our AC going bad this summer....painting the walls and adding a wall treatment.  I've got a long way to go...but not as long as how far I have come! 

Oh and here's a really funny before shot for ya...This was right after coming home from the hospital when we had our first daughter.  My mom caught us in a rare moment.   The room has changed so much.   The window in the back and the wall behind the couch are the same wall and window you are looking at above :)

Oh and one more thing to mention....this bad boy came in at just under 200 dollars to make :)  You can't beat that, can you? 

Do you love it???  I'm just so happy it's DONE!  
Now I get to come up with some really great fall mantle decorations and decorate my bookshelves!  
Hope you guys have a great day! 
xo
Anna 



shared with 
titi crafty
too much time on my hands



















28 comments:

  1. Hey! Great job! It looks so neat. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing project! You've done a great job with this project... can't wait to come and see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!! It's so beautiful! I love all the wood detail. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks fabulous! And I can't believe how cheap it was! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! It looks great!! -Jess

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shut the front door! Under $200?! Amazing! Gorgeous design, great functionality and I love, LOVE the tile! Bravo:) Fun reveal worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so good. I'm totally jealous!!! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks amazing! I can't believe it was under $200 - that is great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did an amazing job! I love the chalkboard insert!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous job! It turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it- especially the hexagon tile! I bet that is such a huge relief to be done with that project! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks so awesome! I can safely say if I tried that I'd probably end up having a stroke by the end. I'm impressed :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, fantastic job! Years ago, my mother updated her dark paneled fireplace surround herself. The trend at the time was golden oak, so she cut out the old and used oak sided plywood for the background and a mix of trims and moldings to design what looked like an intricately detailed fireplace surround...something between a Victorian and Craftman era piece . I've always held a bit of pride for what my Mom did with that fireplace...and I'm sure your daughter will hold the same for your beautiful piece...PS...I think that fabric goes very well with your creation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! What a statement! It will be so fun to decorate, and I'm in love with the hexagon tile! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So beautiful. It matches your blog design! I just noticed that!! What an accomplishment. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow This looks great, can't believe it was DIY! Great job...

    ReplyDelete
  17. You. Are. A. Genius !!!
    I'm working on one myself - but I bought the mantel off craigs list - could never have pulled this one off - just gorgeous - amazing work!!!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, way to go, Girl! Love the "before" pic of him sprawled on the floor and you and Baby - priceless! :) Thanks for sharing at Trash 2 Treasure Tuesday. I have 2 mantels waiting to be built - do you hire?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW, I love those hexagon tiles! And how wonderful to have so much shelving and space for books, photos and nick-knacks :)
    Thanks for sharing at #Pintorials

    ReplyDelete
  20. this wasn't something old. This was something I built.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a gorgeous outcome - you did an amazing job. Thank you for sharing at Share It One More Time. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks great. You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Anna. I just popped over from "Link and Make Thursday" to check out your fireplace reveal and wow! I was NOT expecting that! I thought I was doing well with my little fireplace paint job, but I am in awe of your tiling and woodworking talent! What an absolutely fantastic job! Sue

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anna it turned out beyond amazing! It looks wonderful and well worth the work. Thank you for sharing it al THT!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's beautiful and you did a great job!! When you remove the a/c, it will dramatically change your room and lighting. You'll have a pretty window. I did it once and have been very happy with the change.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don't blame you for being so excited! It turned out great!! Love all of the woodwork and that nice big mantel. You'll have fun with that! The marble is gorgeous! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is awesome Anna! It's a Friday Favorites feature at http://notatrophywife.com! Thanks for linking up and hope to see you this week! laura

    ReplyDelete